The Calling

Saturday, July 21, 2012



Title: The Calling
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Series: Darkness Rising #2
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Format: Hardcover, 326 Pages
Publication Date: April 10, 2012
Published By: HarperCollins, Random House of Canada
Rating: 4/5









Goodreads Synopsis:
Maya Delaney's paw-print birthmark is the mark of what she truly is--a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly everyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it's only a matter of time before she's able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents.

Now, Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they're kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home.


My Thoughts:
What I love most about Kelley's writing, especially during a series, is her ability to describe previous events just enough for the reader to remember them, without overpowering the new story. It had been over a year since I had read the Gathering, the first in the Darkness Rising series, and I have to admit that I was a little hazy on the details. But Kelley took the time to remind her readers of the events that happened in the previous book, and I am very grateful for that.

This books starts off with a bang and doesn't stop from there. We are filled with anxiety and fear throughout the novel, and the end doesn't let up at all. I was left to wonder and wait for the next book to come out. I am truely in awe of Kelley's ability to create a world that is so similar to our own, yet that houses elements beyond our imagination.

I first fell in love with Kelley's first YA series after reading her adult novels. And I have to say that she has a talent of melding books together in the smallest ways that it takes the reader a moment to understand what is going on. I had heard that Kelley was trying to think this series with her previous, and in the Calling we get a glimpse at how this might happen. There are hints here and there about the Cabals and Davenport etc. But I will very interested in how she melds the two series together.

I loved this book from beginning to end. The writing was top quality and the chemistry between characters is absolutely amazing. I was a little disappointed at the lack of romance in this novel, but in the end I understood the reasoning behind it. Please read this series, and if you can read her first YA series first...I feel like it will add an extra understanding to the little details spread out across the novel. Thank you Kelley for writing yet another amazing book that leaves me wanting even more.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. this is interesting.nice review;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review!! I read the first one haven't had the chance to read the second one yet and looking forward to reading it even more

    ReplyDelete