[Review] Fever

Monday, January 07, 2013




Title: Fever

Series: The Chemical Garden #2
Author: Lauren Destefano
Format: Hardcover, 341 pages
Genre: YA, Dystopian
Publication Date: February 21, 2012
Publisher: Simon and Schuster

Purchase
Amazon
| Chapters | Book Depository 
 
 



 




Description

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.


My Thoughts

I will admit that it took me a very long time to get into this sequel. It might have been because it had been so long since I have read Wither but I just found myself drifting off. But that all changed and I am so happy it did because the end of this book blew me away.

Lauren's writing is something out of a fairy tale, it revolves around you and leaves you breathless. The world she has built is spectacular and one that scares me more than I like to admit. This world where women are sold as fertility baskets and are killed if undesirable. It makes you question the world we live in today and some of the things we believe.

Rhine's character is pushed to the limit in Fever where is thrust into the open world with Gabriel, where they have no idea what awaits them. I have to say that I was surprised at the plot line of this book. If you thought the ideas in Wither were disturbing beware. From teh very beginning we see the damage of the world and what it has done to society and we meet some amazing characters that will change Rhine forever. Although most the characters in this sequel and new to us as readers, there is still the threat of Rhine's past life with Linden and what it means for her future.

I loved the relationship between Rhine and Gabriel. It felt so damaged from the very beginning and yet you saw the love they had for each other, even when it looked like there was no light at the end of the tunnel and it made me route for them even more than I was before.  

The conclusion of this novel blew me away. I never saw the plot twist coming and I just couldn't stop reading until I finished it. I cannot wait for Sever in a few weeks!

4/5 Stars

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I had a hard time getting into this as well, but that may be more because I wasn't a big fan of Wither either. I did enjoy Rhine's character growth much more in Fever however, so I am excited to check out Sever.

    ReplyDelete