[Review] Prophecy

Thursday, January 17, 2013



Title: Prophecy
Series: The Dragon King Chronicles #1
Author: Ellen Oh
Format: Hardcover, 312 pages
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publication Date: January 2, 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins Canada, HarperTeen


Purchase
Amazon
| Chapters | Book Depository




Description
Kira’s the only female in the king’s army, and the prince’s bodyguard. She’s a demon slayer and an outcast, hated by nearly everyone in her home city of Hansong. And, she’s their only hope...

Murdered kings and discovered traitors point to a demon invasion, sending Kira on the run with the young prince. He may be the savior predicted in the Dragon King Prophecy, but the missing treasure of myth may be the true key. With only the guidance of the cryptic prophecy, Kira must battle demon soldiers, evil shaman, and the Demon Lord himself to find what was once lost and raise a prince into a king.

Intrigue and mystery, ancient lore and action-packed fantasy come together in this heart-stopping first book in a trilogy.


My Thoughts
I went into this book with very high expectations and I have to say that it lived up to all the hype! I absolutely loved this book, from front to back it was full of action, adventure and tension.

We meet Kira, a demon slayer who was blessed (and cursed) with the ability to sense demons and kill them. She is the only female warrior in her Uncle's military and everyone reminds her of this fact, much to her despair. We watch as she tries to struggle with being in this unique position and the strain it has on her and her family.

What I loved most about this book was its culture and the way it is represented. It is present in every line and on every page and it really creates a world that the reader cannot escape. Another aspect of this book that i felt strongly was the fact that Ellen Oh focused more on the love between a family then between two people. Although there is a love interest brewing, it was never the focus and I loved that. It is about time that family take a prominence in YA fiction because it seems to have taken a back seat to puppy love.

The mythology within this book is so unique and amazing that it kept me turning the pages. The aspect of the Prophecy and the inclusion of a fantasy element made this book even more intriguing and I have to say that I loved everything about it. The only issue I had were the names, because they were from a different culture, it was hard for me to keep track of all of them and the fact that to me they all sounded the same. But that is just me being naive to other cultures so I would never hold that against it.

Overall this book is action packed, and full of lore and fantasy that will keep you turning the page from beginning to end. A great read for lovers of fantasy and ancient mythology.

4.5/Stars

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Yay some one else who loved this book! I've seen some mixed reviews but like you I love the action the fantasy and the culture. Such a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the fact that the family plays a more important role. I'm so sick and tired of love-romance taking the lead over the real story. This is going to be refreshing! I also like the mythology concept and I can't wait to read this book. After all the mixed reviews, I'm happy to see something so positive :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete