What Makes a Good Love Scene?

Thursday, February 14, 2013


Because today is Valentine's Day I thought it would be appropriate to talk about kissing scenes, make-out scenes and overall sexy scenes. They appear is most books, and are pretty much expected in the YA genre. I have even said, on occasion, that there wasn't enough of a love interest in the books for me to like it. In this post I want to share my thoughts on this subject and see what you guys think about these kinds of scenes.

Kissing/Makeout session

Now, these scenes can either be done very well, or not at all. When I think about a kissing scene I always think of the lead up. The events that happen before the actual kiss. I do this because it is those scenes that determine whether or not I care. For example, if there are chapters and chapters of sexual tension and close calls then I can't wait for the actual event to take place. It makes the first kiss that much more sensual and alluring.
Some examples of great kissing scenes:
  1. Echo and Noah in Pushing the Limits--> Trust me the sexual tension can be cut with a knife in this one. Every page is filled with it. 
  2. Emerson and Michael in Hourglass--> Wow. Myra McEntire sure does know how to create a scene that makes you blush in public. 
  3. Kate and Vincent in Die for Me--> Their relationship was great from the very beginning and I have to say that their scenes together we amazing. 
  4. Norah and Patch in Hush Hush--> not only is Patch extremely good looking in my head, but Becca Fitzpatrick has a way of making me week at the knees with Norah's scenes with Patch
  5. Juliette and Adam in Shatter Me/Unravel Me--> for those of you who know this series I really don't have to say much. But Tahereh know how to make a girl wish a character live in real life. 
  6. Rachel and Logan in Defiance--> What I loved about their scenes was that they were laced with their past, which made them even more intense.
  7. Violet and Lincoln in Embrace-->*Fans self* this series is filled with these kinds of moments and I wish for everyone to read them...soo good!
Now that I have swooned over y favourite couple and their makeout scenes, I now want to venture on a topic that not many people feel is appropriate when it comes to YA. Sex.

I know that many people will say that there is no room in YA for these kinds of scenes, and that teenagers don't need to read them but I very much disagree.  Most teenagers know a lot more about sex than I did at 14-17 years old, and I feel like they might benefit from reading them. Hear me out on this one. Teenagers watch shows like Gossip Girl and Vampire Diaries that are filled with very sexy scenes (that often include sex) and parents allow them to watch them. Well I think the same should be applied to YA books. Now I am not saying that 14 year olds should be reading smut, that is not the type of scene I am referring too. I am referring to a very well crafted love scene. One that encompasses a lot of feelings and emotions, that create learning experiences and heartbreak. These are the kinds of scenes that should be written for YA. Not only because sometimes they are called for (especially when there is so much sexual tension and passion that it makes sense)but because readers need some kind of satisfaction.

What do you guys think? Should there be more sexual scenes in YA? Let me know what you think!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I was very grateful to see this website. I desired to thank you for this excellent read ! I’m definitely experiencing every little search for you and examine out new products you publish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The shows that we all love to watch can get quite steamy. Especially for the target audience. But that's fine by me only because one way or another these teens are going to come across this content especially with the internet and how easily they can access this content. Reading about it is no different from watching it( except your imagination can run wild ). It all stems down from the parenting in these situations. Sex is apart of life. No point in trying to make is a taboo subject :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! That why I think YA authors should take chances and explore this subject more. I think it can only make the writing better :)

    ReplyDelete