[Review] When We Wake

Monday, March 25, 2013






Title: When We Wake
Author: Karen Healey
Series: When We Wake #1
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Adventure
Format: Hardcover, 304 pages
Publication Date: March 5, 2013
Publisher: Little Brown and Company, Hachette

Amazon | Chapters | TBD | Goodreads  






Description
My name is Tegan Oglietti, and on the last day of my first lifetime, I was so, so happy.

Sixteen-year-old Tegan is just like every other girl living in 2027--she's happiest when playing the guitar, she's falling in love for the first time, and she's joining her friends to protest the wrongs of the world: environmental collapse, social discrimination, and political injustice.

But on what should have been the best day of Tegan's life, she dies--and wakes up a hundred years in the future, locked in a government facility with no idea what happened.

Tegan is the first government guinea pig to be cryonically frozen and successfully revived, which makes her an instant celebrity--even though all she wants to do is try to rebuild some semblance of a normal life. But the future isn't all she hoped it would be, and when appalling secrets come to light, Tegan must make a choice: Does she keep her head down and survive, or fight for a better future?
 


My Thoughts

I will not lie here, so I will tell you that the cover of this book is what drew me to read this book. I rarely read a lot of synopsis', only because I think they spoil the book. Not always, but sometime I like not knowing what the book is about until I read the first page. And I am so glad I did that for this book.

What I loved most about this book was the fact that from teh very beginning, Healey made you love her characters from the very beginning. Tegan is smart, involved and a regular teenage girl who is in love with her brothers best friend. And it was those first couple of chapters that made the reality of the book that much harder. How would you feel about waking up one day and realize that everyone you ever knew was dead, and that you were 100 years into the future. Ya it would suck.

The concept of this novel was amazingly unique, and what I loved was that even though it was set 100 years into the future, life did not seem that much different than right now. It seemed very believable. I also loved the mystery and the reveal at the end. I honestly knew something as fishy about the people in charge but I just didn't know what it was. And I will say that I was surprised.

I constantly felt like I wanted to punch every person in this book (in a good way). The way they treated Tegan made me so angry and upset that I realized that I had so many invested emotions in this book. I wanted her to survive. I wanted her to break free of the restraints she had no control over.

Overall, When We Wake is a great science fiction novel that will leave you wanting to know more. It will take you on a roller-coaster of emotions and I cannot wait to see what comes next from this amazingly talented author!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I also hate reading the synopsis. I like to know as little as possible going into the book.

    I just got this from the library and I am so excited to read it! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH YAY! be sure to let me know what you think once you are done!

      Delete
  2. Celine Purse To most beauty professionals, 'stiletto' spells making
    love. Look into the ship at Fitness instructor personal hand
    bags. Screen display aids in reforming a style the moment the camcorder is so close soil.
    Cheap Jordan Shoes Hi there, all people,
    My organization is Angelika! http://www.autismoutofthebox.com/index.
    php?option=com_blog&view=comments&pid=70242&Itemid=0

    ReplyDelete