[ARC Review] Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead

Thursday, June 06, 2013


Title: Gameboard of the Gods
Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Age of X #1
Genre: Fiction, Mystery, Paranormal, Dysptopian
Format: Hardcover, 464 pages
Release Date: June 4, 2013
Publisher: Penguin, Duttun Adult
Source: ARC received from publisher for honest review

Purchase:
Amazon | Chapters | TBD | Goodreads





In a futuristic world nearly destroyed by religious extremists, Justin March lives in exile after failing in his job as an investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims. But Justin is given a second chance when Mae Koskinen comes to bring him back to the Republic of United North America (RUNA). Raised in an aristocratic caste, Mae is now a member of the military’s most elite and terrifying tier, a soldier with enhanced reflexes and skills.

When Justin and Mae are assigned to work together to solve a string of ritualistic murders, they soon realize that their discoveries have exposed them to terrible danger. As their investigation races forward, unknown enemies and powers greater than they can imagine are gathering in the shadows, ready to reclaim the world in which humans are merely game pieces on their board.

Gameboard of the Gods, the first installment of Richelle Mead’s Age of X series, will have all the elements that have made her YA Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series such megasuccesses: sexy, irresistible characters; romantic and mythological intrigue; and relentless action and suspense.




I will honesty say that I have not read much from Richelle Mead. I remember picking up the first Vampire Academy novel and loving it, but unfortunately I never got around to picking up the rest of the series. But when I saw that she was writing another adult novel, I knew I wanted to read it. So when I received an advanced review copy from Penguin Canada, I was so excited to start it.

 This book was unlike anything I have read. It is intensely futuristic with a splash of dystopia and paranormal missed in, and I will tell you now it is an amazing read. I loved all of the characters, especially Justin and Mae because even though they has personalities that could not have been more opposite- they went well together. Justin was the comic relief and I found myself laughing out loud to some of his comebacks. He alone is a reason to read because he is an outsider looking in at a world he once knew and honestly that was a great perspective to read from, it made the world seem more realistic.

What I think I loved most about this book was its ability to be so many genre at once. The pot itself is set up very much like a mystery/thriller, yet the setting is more futuristic and dystopian. Then you add the element is paranormal that we get introduced to very early (I will not spoil it :P), it almost seems like too much. But really it made this book better than I ever thought it would be. The Gameboard of the Gods is a novel that fans of Richelle need to read because it has everything that teh Vampire Academy novels have-sexy characters, great chemistry and a mystery that will make you want to turn page after page.

Told from 3 alternate points of view, Richelle has weaved a world unlike any I read lately. It is intensely believable and will leave you wondering its realistic potential. I loved everything about this book and I will tell you that you need to pick up this book and read it because if you don't you will be missing out on an amazingly talented author telling an amazing story. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I read all the books from the VA and the Bloodlines series but never read any of Mead's adult series.. Maybe I'll give this one a try :)
    Thanks for the review!!!

    Hyacinth Marius (Everett Bankruptcy Lawyer)

    ReplyDelete