[eARC Review] The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die

Friday, June 14, 2013



Title: The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die
Author: April Henry
Genre: YA, Thriller
Format: Hardcover, 244 pages
Release Date: June 11, 2013
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Source: eARC provided from publisher for honest review

Purchase:
Amazon | Chapters | TBD| Goodreads





“Take her out back and finish her off.”

She doesn’t know who she is. She doesn’t know where she is, or why. All she knows when she comes to in a ransacked cabin is that there are two men arguing over whether or not to kill her.

And that she must run.

In her riveting style, April Henry crafts a nail-biting thriller involving murder, identity theft, and biological warfare. Follow Cady and Ty (her accidental savior turned companion), as they race against the clock to stay alive.



I was really intrigued by this book for many reasons, because of the cover-I mean come on, it is so captivating, and because the content seemed very daring and interesting. The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die is a very interesting story that essentially left too much to be desired.

We first meet Cady when she wakes up in a cabin with two men who are about to kill her. She remembers nothing-not who she is or why she is in this situation. I thought teh story started off very strong, Cady seemed like a great character and the plot line was extremely fast paced. I thought it got even better near the middle when you start to question Cady as a narrator when certain events make you question her sanity. But after that, it seemed like everything when down hill.

I found the story itself, once it was revealed, to be a little unbelievable, especially when we find out why Cady was taken and why these men are after her. Every twist I saw coming and that might be because I watch too many episodes of Criminal Minds but it kind of ruined my reading experience. The secondary characters felt a little flat to me and I thought the "bad guys" were not portrayed that way at all. I was not as frightened of them as I wanted to be. I found them to be more stereotypical than anything else.

The end. Now normally in a thriller the end is where everything makes sense when it is revealed. But here I felt like it was rushed and too quick for me to take in. I mean it only took about 4 pages for the bad guy to be defeated and everything was all happy again. It just didn't make any sense to me. I wanted a lot more than what I received.

You Might Also Like

0 comments