[ARC Review] All The Truth That's in Me

Monday, September 23, 2013


Title: All The Truth That's In Me
Author: Julie Berry
Genre: YA Contemporary, Historical
Format: Hardcover 288 pages
Release Date: September 26, 2013
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Source: ARC received by publisher for honest review

Purchase
Amazon | Chapters | TBD | Goodreads





Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family. Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who’s owned her heart as long as she can remember—even if he doesn’t know it—her childhood friend, Lucas. But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever. This startlingly original novel will shock and disturb you; it will fill you with Judith’s passion and longing; and its mysteries will keep you feverishly turning the pages until the very last.


All the Truth That's in Me is novel like none other I have read. It is so exceptionally real and emotional on every page. The moment I opened it and started reading there was no hope until i finished. I will preface this by saying this book might not be for everyone, it deals with subjects that are taboo to some and hard to read for others.

The conventional style of writing is thrown out the window for this book and I loved it. What i think I loved most was the tense, it was told in the 2nd person, which is very hard to read let a lone write. We the reader are part of the story from the very beginning and I felt like the emotions I felt while reading were a direct result of that.

We meet Judith who went missing four years earlier with one of her friends, but only she returned. Now, two years after her miraculous return she has to deal with onlookers and doubters that believe her to be not only a liar but unholy in every way. See, Judith did not come back in once piece, she was mutilated and disfigured in a way that will permanently change the way she lives her life. But it is her strength and love for Lucas, her childhood friend that gets her through some of the worst months of her life.

I remember reading about this book earlier this year, I believe in January and I wanted to read it back then, and honestly the synopsis was almost as mysterious as the book itself. I did not know what exactly the book was about but I knew I needed to read it, and I will tell you this. It changed me. It has been over two weeks since I finished it and I still think about to this day. The characters are incredible. They are not only real, but flawed and when I saw flawed I mean FLAWED. There are certain characters that I wanted to punch sooo hard, like Judith's mother, or her school teacher. Not only because of the way they treated her, but also because of the sheltered look of life they carried around with them.

If i say any more about this book I will give everything away, the best thing to do is read it. It will take you no time at all to read it considering the chapters are incredibly short (which I love) and the story itself propels you forward and won't let you go. This is one of the best books I have read in 2013 and although it might not be for everyone, it is worth a try by everyone. The story of Judith and her quest for true happiness is one that is amazing to read.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Broken characters are the ones I usually love to read about so this book is up my alley. I'm glad you loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete