[Review] My Favorite Mistake by Chelsea Cameron

Thursday, September 05, 2013


Title: My Favorite Mistake
Author: Chelsea Cameron
Genre: New Adult
Format: Paperback, 400 pages
Release Date: August 27, 2013

Publisher: Harlequin (HQN)
Source: Got from Work

Purchase
Amazon | Chapters | TBD | Goodreads





Two secrets. One bet. Who will break first?

Taylor Caldwell can't decide if she wants to kiss her new college roommate or punch him.

On the one hand, Hunter Zaccadelli is a handsome blue-eyed bundle of charm. On the other, he's a tattooed, guitar-playing bad boy. Maybe that's why Taylor's afraid of falling in love with him, or anyone else. She doesn't want to get burned, so she needs him gone before it's too late.

Hunter himself has been burned before, but Taylor's sexy laugh and refusal to let him get away with anything make her irresistible. Determined not to be kicked out of her life without a fight, Hunter proposes a bet: if she can convince him she either truly loves or hates him, he'll leave the apartment;and leave her alone.

But when the man behind Taylor's fear of giving up her heart resurfaces, she has to decide: trust Hunter with her greatest secret, or do everything in her power to win that bet and drive him away forever.



Since I started working at Harlequin, I knew I would have to start reading some of their books. So when I saw that we were publishing a New Adult contemporary novel I was excited to try it out. As you may have noticed I have been on a binge of NA lately and I can't seem to stop, so when I got this book on my desk one morning, I knew I had to read it right away. And I am so glad I did.

Chelsea Cameron is a great writer for many reasons. Her characters are real and relatble and her ability to write dialogue is amazing. I will tell you right now that at many points in this novel I laughed out loud at some of the lines that came out of her characters mouth. They were amazing.

New Adult is a genre that rose fast and might die just as fast. But what I have noticed that each character in NA fiction is damaged in some way. Although it makes for better plot sometimes, I am finding it to be going a little too far. What I loved about my Favorite Mistake was that it dealt with those issues without making it the center of attention. We meet both main characters Taylor and Hunter and we all know that each have issues but their banter back and forth was the center of attention. And I loved that.

The only complaint I have for this book is the packaging. It is extremely sexy and I love the cover, but it in no way represents the content. Although there is some amazing sexual tension, and some sex scenes, they are very tame. So when you look at the cover, don't be fooled. This book is on the lower sexuality side of NA and honestly I thought that was refreshing to read. I loved reading an actual story and not a plot line driving towards 100 pages of sex scenes. This book was a breath of fresh air in a genre that might be dying down.


You Might Also Like

0 comments