[Review] Anchorboy by Jay Onrait

Monday, December 16, 2013



Title: Anchorboy
Author: Jay Onrait
Release Date: November 5, 2013
Genre: Biography, Sports
Publisher: HarperCollins Canada
Source:  Bought at author signing!!!

Purchase
Amazon | Chapters |Goodreads







TOP TEN THINGS YOU’LL LEARN WHEN YOU READ THIS BOOK:

10) Jay was beaten up by an MMA fighter on live television

9) Interviewing Will Ferrell can be a harrowing experience

8) Jay once ruined a perfectly good pair of underwear on Christmas Eve

7) Failing as a stand-up comedian can lead to a job in broadcasting

6) Jay ran a marathon to get a ticket for the 2010 men's Olympic gold-medal hockey game

5) Jay was sexually harassed at TSN by a senior citizen every day for ten years

4) Jay appeared as the Phantom of the Opera on national television

3) Jay was entertained nightly by free live sex shows throughout university

2) Jay was single-handedly responsible for Winnipeg's second NHL team being called "The Jets" (he claims)

1) Running around in a full-body unitard at the London Olympics is a bad idea

All this and more awaits you inside ANCHORBOY!



I will confess i am a sports junkie, I watch SportsCentre every day, I check my SportsNet app at least 5 times a day, especially during trade season, and I watch more sports then I do regular television. So it should be no surprise that I grew up watching Jay and Dan nightly on SportsCentre. So when they left to go to FoxSports I knew my sports highlight show would not be the same, and I was right. It is definitely not the same, but at least I still have their podcast right?

When I saw that Jay was putting out an autobiography i knew i had to read it, and for may reasons. I knew he would have secrets and behind the scenes action from TSN, but I also knew that there would be some hilarious stories that would be told. But what I did not expect was how serious this book was in its undertone. Not only did he tell us funny stories about his life before and during being a sportscaster, but he also went into what frustrated him the most about working for TSN, and how hard it was.

I loved how candid he was about the reasons he left Canada to go to LA. Although Jay and Dan joke a lot, they were not happy here, and from reading the book I am not surprised that they left. I would have too. But I am happy that they are still as hilarious and spontaneous when it comes to delivering sports news.

This book took my by surprise because it made me see very different side if Jay, and I thank him for that. I loved reading about his childhood and hard it was for him to accomplish what he has. It took a lot of determination and effort for him to be where he is today. And I seriously respect him for that. This book is for all lovers of sports and for anyone who loved watching Jay and Dan on SportsCentre at 10pm weeknights.

You Might Also Like

0 comments