[ARC Review] The Rule of Three by Eric Walters

Thursday, January 23, 2014


Title: The Rule of Three
Author: Eric Walters
Genre: YA Dystopian
Format: Hardcover, 405 pages
Release Date: January 21st 2014
Publisher: Razorbill Canada
Source: ARC received from Publisher in exchange for honest review

Purchase
Amazon | Chapters | TBD | Goodreads





One shocking afternoon, computers around the globe shut down in a viral catastrophe. At sixteen-year-old Adam Daley’s high school, the problem first seems to be a typical electrical outage, until students discover that cell phones are down, municipal utilities are failing, and a few computer-free cars like Adam’s are the only vehicles that function. Driving home, Adam encounters a storm tide of anger and fear as the region becomes paralyzed. Soon—as resources dwindle, crises mount, and chaos descends—he will see his suburban neighborhood band together for protection. And Adam will understand that having a police captain for a mother and a retired government spy living next door are not just the facts of his life but the keys to his survival, in The Rule of Three by Eric Walters.


The moment I read the synopsis of this book I knew that it sounded a lot like the show Revolution. One day all the of the computers die, including all phones, cars and equipment. And once I started reading it I knew that I was right. They are very similar.

What I did live about this story was the setting. Since I live in Toronto, the setting of this book was very familiar to me and reading some of the intersections was really fun for me to picture since I have actually been there. What I also loved as well were the characters. They were very real and their reactions to what was happening seems totally believable. Freaking out and not knowing what to do would be something I can relate to since that is what I would be in that situation. But what happens after the initial shock was interesting to see. The carnage, the togetherness and the betrayal of those around you because of fear. Fear was a great emotion for this book. It was the reason behind all of the destruction and death.

There was one aspect of this book that I did not like though and that was the way it was written. The story itself was great and I loved the characters I just wish there had been more dialogue, because for me that is where you get the most information and the most character growth, But in this book there was more description than anything else. There was a lot of internal dialogue and exposition but nothing between characters. That is the one thing I missed from this book. Was the connection between character, and that usually comes with dialogue.

Overall the story was great and the dystopian society was interesting to read since it was the lead up to that type of society and not the aftermath. But I was missing the connection between characters and there was too much description for me. I really hope that in the books to come there are more interactions between characters and more character growth.

You Might Also Like

0 comments