20 Questions~With Kelley Armstrong!

Saturday, April 19, 2014


This is a brand new feature for the blog! This is where I ask publishing professionals (authors, marketers, and bloggers) some awesome questions!

Today I am happy to have Kelley Armstrong on the blog! She is the author of Sea of Shadows, a book I absolutely loved myself, check out my review here. Without further ado, here is Kelley!

1. Explain what part of the Publishing world you are a part of (ie. Publisher, Author, Blogger etc.)

I’m the author of the Cainsville modern gothic series and the Age of Legends YA fantasy trilogy. Past works include Otherworld urban fantasy series, the Darkest Powers & Darkness Rising teen paranormal trilogies and the Nadia Stafford crime trilogy, I also co-write the Blackwell Pages middle-grade fantasy trilogy as K.L. Armstrong with M.A. (Melissa) Marr.


2. Who is your favourite author of all time, and why?

My favourite writer changes all the time, but the one who was my favourite for the longest length of time is Stephen King--for his ability to make the supernatural seem natural. I've been reading him since high school.


3. Who would you chose to play you in the movie depicting your life?

Some twenty-year-old gorgeous starlet who looks nothing like me, because that's probably the only way you're going to get people to watch a movie about my life!


4. What was/is your favourite candy or snack from your childhood?

Chocolate chip cookies.


5. Who is your favorite fictional character, and why?

I always go with Anne from Anne of Green Gables, because she was the first character I could really relate to. Until that point, most of what I read either had male leads or “perfect” girls. She was strong but flawed.


6. Do you have a TV show that is your guilty pleasure? If so which one is it?
Probably CSI. After so many years of following a formula, it’s incredibly repetitive, but it’s mental comfort food—if I’m tired, I can just watch it and shut off my brain and enjoy the mystery.


7. Do you have a bucket list? If she what is one item on that list?

I don’t have one. Sorry!


8. Are you a Mac or PC

I think like most people I would say “Mac.” That old ad was genius in appealing to our need for individuality. Few people want to be seen as just a face in the crowd. We like to think we’re unique and quirky, so we identify more with the Mac guy in the ad.


9. Do you have a favourite fictional couple?

I have lots, but I’ll go with Amelia Peabody and Radcliffe Emerson from Elizabeth Peter’s Amelia Peabody series.


10. What is your most anticipated movie you cannot wait to see, and why?

I’m a huge movie buff, but I don’t hotly anticipate new releases. It’s more like “Oh, look, there’s a movie out I wanted to see. Let’s do that at some point.”


11. What season is your favourite, and why?

It’s a toss up between spring and fall. I’ll go with fall because it’s less muddy and rainy.


12. If you could do any profession, other than your own for a day, which would it be and why?

Any profession at all? Lion tamer. But, yeah, I’d need some training. And, preferably, a toothless lion. As for why…well, I figure it’d be just about my only chance to ever do that, and if I get a chance at any experience, I’ll go for an extreme one!


13. Who was your first ever concert?
Raffi J


14. Where is your favourite reading spot, and why?

Any recliner, which is also where I write. I have about 4 of them in my house.


15. Did you have a nickname as a child? If she what was it?

Nope, I was nickname-free.


16. What posters did you hang on your wall when you were younger?
Animals. I don’t recall ever having rock stars or actors on my walls. It was always posters of animals.


17. What is your favourite genre to read, and why?

I read a lot of genres, but my favourite is crime thrillers.


18. If you could describe yourself as a potato chip flavour, why would it be and why?

Let’s go with salt and vinegar. It’s suitably tart :)


19. Do you agree with the notion that over time, ebooks will eliminate print books?

Things are clearly changing, but I don’t agree with the doom-and-gloom hand-
wringing I see and hear. I hate to see Borders go. Competition is good for the business. My hope is that it will be seen by others—chains and independents—as a sign that these changing times require changes in the book-business, rather than being seen a death omen for all.


20. What book are you most looking forward to reading this year?

I’m as bad with this as I am with movies. I love to read, but it’s more a case of seeing that something I want is available and buying it, rather than knowing when one comes out and waiting for it. Which is the wrong thing for a writer to say!

About Kelley


I’ve been telling stories since before I could write. My earliest written efforts were disastrous. If asked for a story about girls and dolls, mine would invariably feature undead girls and evil dolls, much to my teachers’ dismay. All efforts to make me produce “normal” stories failed. Today, I continue to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves, while safely locked away in my basement writing dungeon.

 Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Tumblr| Website

About Sea of Shadows

In the Forest of the Dead, where the empire’s worst criminals are exiled, twin sisters Moria and Ashyn are charged with a dangerous task. For they are the Keeper and the Seeker, and each year they must quiet the enraged souls of the damned.

Only this year, the souls will not be quieted.

Ambushed and separated by an ancient evil, the sisters’ journey to find each other sends them far from the only home they’ve ever known. Accompanied by a stubborn imperial guard and a dashing condemned thief, the girls cross a once-empty wasteland, now filled with reawakened monsters of legend, as they travel to warn the emperor. But a terrible secret awaits them at court—one that will alter the balance of their world forever.


To purchase Sea of Shadows by Kelley Armstrong

You Might Also Like

0 comments