Melissa from Raincoast's BEST OF 2014!!!

Monday, January 05, 2015


I am so happy to have Melissa from Raincoast Books here on the blog today. She was kind enough to put together a list of the best books she has read in 2014! Let see what she has to say!



I have such trouble with the end of the year lists, because I find it so hard to choose
my favourite books of the year! To make it more manageable for myself, I've chosen my 5
favourite YA books of this year (and I cheated a little on one, it's not actually YA. But
I had to include it because I love it so much!)






I was an English Major in University, meaning I kind of have an obsession with classic

literature. From Descartes to The Hunger Games, Mallory Ortberg brilliantly captures the
characters' personalities through text messages, and this book had me laughing out loud
at my desk. Definitely one of my favourites of the year!






If you haven't read this yet, I would highly recommend it! Marie Rutkoski's writing is

absolutely gorgeous, and the book itself was impossible for me to put down. I am also
lucky enough to have already read the sequel to this book, The Winner's Crime, which in
my opinion, was just as brilliant as the first. I have to warn you, though: the wait for
the next book in the trilogy is painful!





I've been in a bit of a reading rut this year, where I pick up a book and I can't seem to

get more than halfway through it. When it gets to this point, I know it's time for me to
read some short stories. Naturally, I chose to read this holiday anthology edited by
Stephanie Perkins, which has 12 short stories from some fabulous YA authors. And it was
such a good decision! This anthology has a story for everyone. Plus, I'm a little
holiday-crazy (my work colleagues called me Santa this morning...), making this an
obvious choice for one of my favourite YA books this year.




This was the first book I've read by Beth Kephart, and it definitely won't be my last.  A

historical fiction about the Berlin Wall, the characters and their struggles feel so real
and are instantly engaging. Kephart has absolutely beautiful prose, almost lyrical in its
delivery, and I would highly recommend reading this one.




The third installment of The Lunar Chronicles is just as great as the first two, with

Marissa Meyer's usual humour, action and (of course!) romance. This one also makes you
desperate to see how the series will end! 


Thanks so much!





I want to thank Melissa SO MUCH for being on the blog today and for sharing her top 5 reads of 2014! Any of these are your list? Let me know!!

~Siobhan 

You Might Also Like

0 comments