Just Kids

Saturday, May 26, 2012


Patti Smith memoir about her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe was a surprise for me. Having to read it for University I honestly did not think I would enjoy it. I am not a non fiction reader, I do not read many memoirs, yet this book was so beautiful and poetic that I couldn’t help but love it.

Patti Smith lived a tragic yet beautiful life. having lived on the streets, struggling to feed herself and Robert, she still managed to create art. Throughout the book Patti’s optimism shines through. Her devotion to Robert and his devotion to her is astonishingly beautiful. It makes you wish to have that kind of connection with someone special. With her poetic prose, Patti delivers a sentimental ode to Robert. Her love for him is within every word and every paragraph. Deeply personal and routed in the past, Just Kids defines what a memoir should be; Personal. Amazing read.

You Might Also Like

0 comments