[Review] The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Tuesday, October 23, 2012



Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Format: Hardcover, 544 pages
Genre: YA, Paranormal Fiction
Publication Date: October 23, 2012
Published by: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Series: Mara Dyer #2
Rating: 4/5

Purchase
Amazon | Chapters | Book Depository










Synopsis
Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?


My Thoughts
I have loved this series from the very beginning. The characters and the story resonated with me so much that I read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer twice last year. Evolution starts off with Mara in a Mental Institution and you can image the difficulties that she faces while there. No one belives that Jude is alive and to make matters worse, she feels like she is losing control of reality even more than before. Her only saviour is Noah, and it is his presence that guides her to the truth. 

First of all I want to address the idea of Noah. Many people say that it is wrong to fall in love with a character from a book, but I DO NOT CARE. He is the perfect guy for many girls, including me. He is sensitive when needed, caring at the right moments and of course he is not hard on the eyes. But what I really loved was the way he dealt with Mara and her condition. He was so sweet that you couldn't help but fall for him just like Mara did. 

The story itself was amazing and well done, it was believable and made me (figuratively) sit at the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next. I loved Jude's character and I felt that his emotions and his ability to evade detection were well crafted and the story would not have had the same effect without his hatred for Mara. Great.

The only downfall for me was the confusing I felt at some points in the novel. it has been about a year since I read the last book and there was really no seque into the current plot. Some of the characters felt distant, yet seemed to have a huge impact on the narrative and it took me a bit to collect my facts and remember who was who. Other than that I have no complaints.  

This second installment was fast paced, breathtaking at times and extremely well written. I felt engrossed in Michelle Hodkin's world and I never wanted to leave it.  I can't wait for the third book to hit shelves, and next time I will try and read the previous book before I dive into the next one, just so I can get the full effect of the stpry with no confusion!

Please pick up this series if you haven't yet, it is absolutely amazing and it will not disappoint! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments