End of Year Book Survey

Monday, December 31, 2012

This is my first year participating in the End of Year Survey and I am veru excited to look back my year of books!

Best In Books 2012

 

1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
  


2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

I would have to say The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. I had heard so many great things about this book but I just felt it fell flat. I wanted so much more out of it and it did not hold my interest. I would also say Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson- I was hoping for such great things out of this one because it was a retelling of a classic tale and I love that kind of thing. But it just didn't grab me the way I wanted it to. 

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?  

Embrace/Entice by Jessica Shrivington- I was reluctant to read this series because I was getting sick of Angels but I am soo glad I did! This series has become one of my new favourites! Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry- I am not usually a fan of contemporary YA but this one blew me out of the water. I was not expecting to cry let alone feel so much for the characters.


4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?

The Diviners by Libba Bray, Every day by David Leviathan and Venom by Fiona Paul. All of these books were surprises for me and I absolutely could not put them down! So naturally I wanted everyone else to read them too!


5. Best series you discovered in 2012?

The Pledge series by Kimberly Derting- Such an amazing Fantasy/Dystopian series! I cannot believe it took me this long to get into it! Embrace series by Jessica Shrivington- this series blew me away and I cannot wait to read more of it!

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?

Sarah Rees Brenna (Unspoken) is amazingly talented and will make you cry! Marissa Meyer (Cinder) I am so glad I finally read Cinder! Soo amazing. AND FINALLY Libba Bray (The Diviners) the books is huge, but trust it is worth EVERY WORD.


7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Since I don't read Contemporary YA often I have to say that Pushing the Limits was a bog shock for me. It made me reconsider the genre and made me want to read more of it in the future!


8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?

The Evolution of Mara Dyrer- I was dying for this sequel and it did not dissapoint! This is not a Test by Courtney Summers- this was a different kind of genre for her, but it still was classic Courtney (making me hurt for EVERYONE and making me love her writing even more)


9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:

Altered by Jennifer Rush- I got an advanced epub version and I will definitely buy one when it comes out in January. I need to read it again, just to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time I read it!


10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?

While I loved the new cover of Shatter Me, I would have to say Timepiece by Myra Macintyre
I have always loved this photographer and she does amazing work so I am glad to see her work out in the world of books :)

11. Most memorable character in 2012? 

Noah from Pushing the Limits- he was just so damaged and broken and all I wanted to do was hug him. He stayed with me days after I finsihed the book. Also A from Every day- such an inspirational character that makes you believe in the power of love.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?

This is not a Test by Courtney Summers- the way she grabs hold of you and does not let go until the last page is incredible. She has the ability to create a world that is vivid and so real you believe it is actually happening in real life. Plus she always makes me cry at some point!

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012? 

Unpsoken by Sarah Rees Brenna- I don't really know how to explain what impact this book had on me. It was the characters and their relationships to one another and the way that the end surprised the hell out of me and made me want to cry. I just couldn't stop thinking about this book after I finished reading it.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read? 

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington! It was an amazing book and it make me fall in love with angels all over again!

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012? 

“The soul is the only part that is eternal, that transcends the fabric and goes beyond, into the tiniest fibers of our very existence.”—Violet from Entice by Jessica Shirvington

I totally agree with this quote and I have loved it ever since I read the book!

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012? 

Longest: The Diviners by Libba Bray which came to 592 pages which was surprising to me because it didn't seem this long while reading it.

Shortest: The Dirt by Lori Culwell which came to 205 pages and to be honest I was a little glad hat this book wasn't that long. It was hard enough getting through the 205 :S

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

There was a certain death scene in Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes that made me go WTH!!! and I couldn't wait for one of my friends to read it so I would talk about it!

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

The relationship between Logan and Rachel in Defiance by C.J Redwine was one of my all time favourites of the year. It wasn't rushed and it did not come out of nowhere. Their feelings for each other seems reliable and real and I loved that. Also, their relationship was not perfect and did not get tied up in a bow like some others out there. 

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously

Dreamless by Josephine Angelini- I absolutely loved her first book Starcrossed and I was soo happy with her second! I will be a fan forever now I think!

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

Either Venom by Fiona Paul that was recommended by Giselle at Booknerd Canada or Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brenna which was recommended to me by EVERYONE.

Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 (optional)


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012? 

I would have to say Booknerd Canada because Giselle was the one that helped me more than anyone when I started blogging earlier this year and I could not have thanked her enough. She has also become one of my best blogger friends and I don't know what I would do without her.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012? 

I loved writing the review for Venom because I loved it so much and there were aspects of the story that I thought many other reviews took to a level that was unnecessary and I wanted to state my opinion on them. And thankfully the author agreed! which was amazing to see!

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

I would have to say my struggles with finding a job in publishing and how hard it is to be an intern in the business. I loved this discussion because it allowed me to see that I was not alone and that there are a lot of other people out there struggling the same as me and it was very comforting to hear all the kind words. 

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

This is a very hard question! I really don't have an answer for this but I will say that my favourite aspect of someone else's blog was Giselle from Booknerd Canada's Blogging guide. It was such a great resource for me and I was glad she did all of that work to help others. 


5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

I would have to say the Blog Ontario meetup! It was so much fun meeting everyone and having an afternoon of bookish fun!


6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?

Probably getting to meet Tahera Mafi at the HarperCollins Canada Blogger night! It was an amazing night that made me love her even more!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

It was actually the post that I wrote about being in the publishing industry that got the most views for me, it was over 200 unique page views in a months so I was really happy to see that, and to see that other people found my post helpful in some way was very gratifying.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

I really wish more people would have related to my review of The Evolution of Mara Dyer because it was such an amazing book and I wanted more people to get excited about it!


9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Bookcloseouts.com!!! soo many books for low prices haha made my shelves explode!


10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I made a goal for myself that I would read 65 books this year and as of today I am at 76! WOOT! so maybe next year I will up my goal to 100...maybe I will be able to read more even though i now have a FULL TIME JOB (YAY) but it will be a challenge right?

Looking Ahead…

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?

Fever by Lauren DeStefano. I got an ARC of Sever so now I need to read Fever extra fast!


2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?

There are really too many to put here, but in the new year I will make a list! I promise!


3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?

I really hope to read more adult fiction next year. I am and always will be a YA junkie, but I really think I should expand a read some soo fiction and maybe gather some more readers along the way!



Thanks so much for hanging with me all year! And here is to an amazing 2013!!!! 


 

 

You Might Also Like

0 comments