[Review] The Dirt

Saturday, December 29, 2012

 

Title: The Dirt
Author: Lori Culwell
Format: eBook, 205 pages
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Publication Date: November 22, 2012
Published by:
Booktrope Editions
Source: ARC received from Author for honest review

Purchase
Kindle| Nook Book

Visit her Website!
www.loriculwell.com/











Description

Lucy Whitley cannot wait to get out of Palm Desert. It’s not a place for a frizzy-haired science nerd, particularly when her fashion-obsessed older sister Sloane is the head of a clique of pretty girls who rule the school—and practically the whole town.Fortunately, life is about to change forever. Lucy’s dad is getting re-married, and then she can transfer to a boarding school in Connecticut, escaping all the mean girls and the endless whispers about the Whitley family scandal. Everything is going to be perfect—as long as the wedding goes smoothly.

My Thoughts

After reading this book, I remembered why I stopped reading only contemporary books. I really wanted to like this book more than I did, the concept seemed interesting; A family that was left to deal with the scandal of their mother leaving then come to find their long lost sister has returned. But I found this book to lack many of the elements that I love in a book.

I could not get into the story whatsoever. I found it to be a quick read because I skimmed over most of the boring parts and went straight to the dialogue because that was where I thought the story was the most interesting. The characters themselves could not have been more one dimensional. There was the sister who hated everyone and was popular and hated by all. Then there was the main character who just wanted to get away from it all and finally there was the long lost sister who dressed all in black and carried a secret with her. There was no mystery here and I really just wanted the secret to come out early.

I really don't like bashing a book, because I feel like authors put so much time and effort into their books that bashing it would seem mean. But I am really having a hard time finding something good to say about it. The writing was very simple and very juvenile and I felt myself rolling my eyes at what certain characters said. Maybe another reader will find the good in this story, and I hope they do. But for me, this book was just too simple and not my style.

1/5 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments