[ARC Review] Crap Kingdom

Monday, March 11, 2013



Title: Crap Kingdom
Author: D.C Pierson
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Humor
Publication Date: March 12, 2013
Format: Hardcover, 368 Pages
Publisher: Penguin

Purchase
Amazon | Chapters | TBD | Kobo






Description
With this mysterious yet oddly ordinary-looking prophecy, Tom's fate is sealed: he's been plucked from his life and whisked away to a magical kingdom to be its Chosen One.

There's just one problem: The kingdom is mostly made of garbage from Earth. Okay, well, two problems: the king hates Tom. Also, the princess likes to wear fake mustaches. And being Chosen One seems to consist mainly of cleaning out rats' noses at the Royal Rat-Snottery.

So, basically, the kingdom sucks.

When Tom turns down the job of Chosen One, he thinks he's making a smart decision. But when Tom discovers he's been replaced by his best friend Kyle, who's always been cooler, more athletic, and better with girls, Tom wants Crap Kingdom back—at any cost. And the hilarity that ensues will determine the fate of the universe.



My Thoughts
I was lucky enough to get an ARC from Penguin Canada when they had their Blogger night a couple of months ago. What I loved right away was the cover; not only was it simple and yet funny, but also the title made me want to pick up the book and read.

Crap Kingdom follows a teenage boy named Tom who has always wanted to be The Chosen One. Tom spent most of his time reading and watching movies where a boy is taken to a far away land, told that he is the savior they have been looking for and will save them from eternal doom. And what do you know...he dream comes true! Yet it is not what he expects, because its not this amazing new world....its Crap Kingdom.

What I really loved about this book was its originality and its humor. It did not take itself seriously, and it used the genre of "The Chosen One" and twisted it in a way that intelligently made fun of it. I loved that Tom was hormonal and nerdy, and loved acting and drama class. That was such a different personality than many of the male characters we see in todays YA fiction. I also loved that the end was not perfect, and that there was rivalry between friends. It was a refreshing take on the genre and I really enjoyed it.

I did find that the end got a little complicated with the two different worlds and the characters going back and forth. The fight scene was also quite long and drawn out, and I got confused half way through but that did not deter my opinion of this book. Even after the book ended I realized that it was very entertaining and I would recommend it for a younger YA audience (although there is some sexual content) and fans of I am Number Four.

Refreshing Read.

You Might Also Like

0 comments